Author Topic: Web-Shooter Alpha 5  (Read 2467 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Web-Shooter Alpha 5
« on: December 19, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »
Early Christmas!

http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

There's not much to say, this is just how far I've gotten.  Light maps default to off (you can turn them on with a check box.)  They are slow, and running it a couple times shows what it can do, as you might not get everything at once.

Note, this is still super alpha.  I might throw a lot of it away, I might build on this, but it's a playable game at this point!  Also, auto-generated sound effects!

(Chrome or FireFox at this point, Safari tech preview should work.)

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
Re: Web-Shooter Alpha 5
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 08:51:24 AM »
Very disturbing Brian ;-) I do like the weird dog things and kinda like the howling bleep noises they make, and the colours seem more complimentary and cohesive too!  Did you implement palettes or something?

Physics-wise, when trying to walk onto a lift I got stuck inside the lift a few times and had to wait until it was at its lowest point then jump to get back outside of it.  Oh and I did fall through the map into infinity once too when one of those dogs pinned me into a corner and I attempted to jump

Room layouts are sooo much better than before 8)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »
Very disturbing Brian ;-) I do like the weird dog things and kinda like the howling bleep noises they make, and the colours seem more complimentary and cohesive too!  Did you implement palettes or something?

Physics-wise, when trying to walk onto a lift I got stuck inside the lift a few times and had to wait until it was at its lowest point then jump to get back outside of it.  Oh and I did fall through the map into infinity once too when one of those dogs pinned me into a corner and I attempted to jump

Room layouts are sooo much better than before 8)

Yeah, there's a random "theme color" that becomes the highlight or main color on all the textures so they have a single look.  And I've already rebuild most of the map generating routines -- the platform (multiple story) generators are now truly random, include staircases, and only appear in certain areas so it doesn't overwhelm the map.

Physics -- yeah, problems abound.  Haven't really put more than the minimum amount of work into that, still working on generators.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »
FYI:

My list of "things to do" is enormous, so I'm just concentrating on a couple things now.  I've been slowed down lately, but last drop was v2 of both map and model generation, and I'm working on the next version for both.  Maps now:

1. Have more random "paths" (i.e., each map has a start and end point)
2. More defined start + end points
3. Truly random platforms (they weren't random before)
4. Much better decorations
5. Better monster placement on paths

It's coming along, just slowly.  I think when I get further I'm going to work on actual monster AI so there can be different types of monsters.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 11:04:38 PM »
FYI:

The way I have been doing lighting -- for a long time -- was pretty old and was really suited back in the days when lighting was very limited by cards, which is not so much a problem.  So now I have finally gotten back to the lighting system and it's 100 times better.  No more pop-ups, lots of lights in a scene (up to 24 now), etc.

So now I'm working on a system of windows and small light sources around doors so they stick out better.  This will end up being v3 of the map generator.  Will have something to show in a week or so, depending on my time!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 01:15:37 PM »
FYI: Firefox and Chrome are now shipping WebGL2 implementations (which are much faster if you use the new stuff.)  So time to move up!  Safari tech preview has, too, but this leaves edge behind for now (FF/Chrome both shipping a feature is always my "move up" target.)

Modules is the last big change I'm waiting on.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »
FYI: I've updated the running demo.  Lots and lots of work, but a long way to go.  Most all the work was in better maps; there's the concept of start and goal rooms, better paths, more decorations, windows, and ...

... major improvements in all the lighting, so there can be tons more lights (windows, over doors, etc.)

Not much done with models.  There's a lot of incremental updates to AI and projectiles.  AI has some more options (still pretty dumb), more projectile movement types and randomness, the concept of a large "boss" monster (always in the goal room), etc.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 12:44:57 AM »
Looking forward to the big boss in the goal room! Something like Metroid where it has weak spots & different kinds of attacks depending on its health?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:39:37 AM »
Looking forward to the big boss in the goal room! Something like Metroid where it has weak spots & different kinds of attacks depending on its health?

Eventually!  I'm doing very little work on AI and models right now, just concentrating on maps, and just do a little AI/monster/model stuff here and there because it's one part of the engine that lags right now.  I really want to get to more puzzle elements, first (i.e., doors that require switches, etc.)  Your regular, standard shooter stuff (and that's the goal, to make a standard shooter, just completely auto-generated.)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 06:20:09 AM »
FYI:

So what I'm working on now is a debug version where you get a list and can have it generate a single item (a texture type, a sound effect, a model) and display it.  It's getting hard to adjust and make things better with the size of maps and models it generates now.  It'll help me pinpoint where I have work to do.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »
Been super busy with other programming tasks but a couple good things:

1) Chrome looks like it'll have module support (at least behind a flag) soon, so the last thing I've been waiting for should be in and coding will be a lot easier
2) I've now got a full debug mode so I can generate random things and test them without having to run a full map and look at it live.  Models haven't gotten much love, and with this mode I should be able to get them to be better

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 06:44:51 AM »
More FYI:

Safari has it, and both chrome and firefox will be shipping modules (behind a flag) sometime in August, so that's my target for updating the code to use modules, which should be a big improvement.  I'm in the middle of a rewrite of how models are built.  I've learned a lot from what I was doing, and a lot of the code stays, but the current code is ultimately not really random, and assumes a lot about how a creature would be structured.  I want it to be completely random, with some regards taken for gravity and locomotion.  Will make a lot of bizarre things, which should be the point!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 07:37:50 AM »
FYI:

Sometime early this month the newest release of Chrome will have modules implemented.  I've already moved the code over to modules, but on a canary build.  If this all works, later in the month I'll put up new code if anybody wants to take a look.  A lot has changed!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 08:08:13 PM »
Chrome 61 is out!  I have a list of about 10 things I want to do, and then a new version.  It's a lot different.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 08:14:16 AM »
I've gotten overly ambition.  I'm going to work on AI and weapons and all that stuff.  It's all coming along nicely, though, I think I might eventually have something interesting.  So nothing yet!

[>] Brian