Author Topic: Web-Shooter Alpha 5  (Read 4119 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Re: Web-Shooter Alpha 5
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 08:08:08 AM »
I've finished the redo of textures.  There's still a lot of work to do to create new random types of textures and more variance, but not the textures are all "classed" into different chunks of the map; those classes will always share a similar tint and so chunks of the map, like walls and pillars, will be within the same color scheme and same texture "looks", same for floors and platforms, and then ceilings, and then map decorations, like boxes and shelves and such.

While there is some high color bright stuff (I'm trying to be really random, not just your regular grays and browns) it works well together because the tints cover the map across classes of textures and the map gains a "look" instead of the crazy quilt it was before.

Next step is the redo of how the map generates.  The base is there, but I'm going to change the algorithm to make maps that are linear instead of blobs (i.e., have a path, like all modern shooters.)  When most people make maps, they usually start with a path and build the map around it, and it'll never make a good shooter if it's a giant blob with enemies just everywhere.

Then that will influence monster placement.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »
The state of the web audio API is really awful right now, I swear every browser maker is using completely different math, and the spec actually has every playing sound relative to the listener, so if only the listener moves, you have to move all the playing sounds.

That said, the chaining of audio units is nice.

They replaced how they are going to do panning multiple times, and at this point I have no idea where any of the browser vendors are as they've all made and re-made the panning multiple times.

I repeat: mess :)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 07:54:20 AM »
FYI:

So things are moving right along with v2.  Firefox finally implements the new webaudio API, so that gives me chrome and FF.  Still waiting for modules, and webassembly looks really promising.

So I'll tool away (it'll be a LONG time before I see enough updates in browsers to get to where I want it to be) but the future is looking bright.  Module support is my next big change whenever it hits in both FF and Chrome (Safari really needs to catch up in some areas.)  Then when webassembly matures, I might start back-porting some stuff to C and then using that as webassembly, which will speed everything up.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »
FYI

I'm pretty happy with the new map generators (v2) so I'm moving onto other areas.  That doesn't mean they won't change or get torn out for v3, it just means I've made a lot of notable progress for making more interesting layout and "flow" maps.

I'm working on sound effect generation, sound positioning, etc.  Leaving how to do some of the filters I take for granted in LPX.

Then onto updates to model generation, some more AI updates, and then I'll probably have something to show.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 03:02:42 PM »
More FYI:

Got in all the sound code, sound positioning (all live) and everything else.  Working on sound generation.  Googled to find out if anybody had done this before.  It seems nobody has, except one group of people who did a paper on generating the sound of water by modeling water droplets.  Took a high end computer 4 hours to do it.  Don't think I'll be using that technique!

Got some ideas, though!

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 03:51:28 AM »
Sound generation as in two things collide in 3D space, and depending on the material, an appropriate sound is automatically generated?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
Sound generation as in two things collide in 3D space, and depending on the material, an appropriate sound is automatically generated?

That's a great idea but that would be very resource heavy.

No, like the textures, the maps, the models, the sounds are auto generated when the program starts up.  There are no data files.  Figuring out how to make a monster roar out of just bytes is what I'm working on now and have some ideas.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 12:25:20 PM »
Ahso ok  8) I'm really looking forward to this!!

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »
Newest Safari Developer Build implements Pointer Lock, finally!  So it looks like that's one thing I don't have to worry about.

(Pointer lock is a full screen relative movement API, obviously specifically for things like 3D game controls.  Apple has dragged it feet on the API for various Apple reasons, but it looks like it's part of the developer preview, so that means I can finally get a good working copy on Safari in the future.)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
Might be an early xmas present coming in the next couple days, depending on how far I get with what I'm working on!

[>] Brian