Author Topic: Web-Shooter Alpha 5  (Read 3882 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Web-Shooter Alpha 5
« on: July 04, 2016, 01:22:20 PM »
Again, there's a long way to go, I just put up versions when I'm at a good breaking point.  This is a look if you are curious kind of thing.  NOTE: Chrome or FF.  Safari is missing mouse control (and can be slow) and it fails in Edge due to bugs in their WebGL implementation I need to tell them about :)  In Chrome or FF it runs great.

http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

* start page now has complete configuration settings
* room decorations can now be mixed
* added pipe decorations
* machine decorations don't have cables in open ceiling rooms
* larger decorations are no longer allowed to block lights
* a bunch of fixes to how gravity works in the phyics
* liquid flag wasn't working properly
* fixed a bug where generator would not get even distribution of monster types
* blobs have must larger body size ranges and no longer require heads
* fixed a bug random body changes could open up seams
* animal model types have improved heads
* humanoid models have random back hunches
* some models can have limbs but no toes or fingers
* liquid and damage tinting
* monsters turning was broken, and can now face placer when idling
* fixed some math problems between model generation and coordinate systems
* better monster stalking
* lots of clean up in the entity code to commonize all the movement routines between entities
* all entities have acceleration/deceleration
* swimming physics and updated flying physics
* auto-jump out of liquids
* setting for meshes to have simple bounds collision geometery
* better colluded polygon remover
* monsters can get in fights over damage
* animation on animal type model legs are better
* different random speeds, acceleration, turns, etc for monsters
* monsters randomly have ability to fire
* add ability for projectiles to have different lobs and bounce settings (monsters only now)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Re: Web-Shooter Alpha 5
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:27:09 AM »
I've been looking at the maps it generates, and they are neat, but have one big problem -- they are big blobs, and this is probably more realistic for real world locations but not realistic for game play.  Most shooters have a linear path to follow; even though it might wrap around or a door might open that leads you back, for the most part, you are trapped in a path or maybe a branching path to grab a key or pull a switch.

I think I need to change the generator to be more of a path based thing than a giant blob.

Be given a hundred directions to go at once doesn't make the best game and destroys flow.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 11:08:26 AM »
Like that it has water now (I don't remember seeing that in other demos I tried) and enemies definitely do feel like they're better at chasing you.  There's no player death sequence though (I let the blobs kill me and my health bar just went negative and I stayed alive) and there's still an issue with enemies only sometimes doing their 'walk' animation when moving around, and other times they're just gliding with no animation.

The maps 'are' big clusters, but that wouldn't be a bad thing if there was a kill count or items/tokens to collect, and maybe a timer or something like that.  I know you're focussing on physics and stuff though, so I'll just wait and see what you come up with ;-)

PS I LOVE this guy:

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 12:25:51 PM »
I have so much I want to do but I'm completely stalled by life!  Hopefully in a while I'll have new progress.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »
I just realised what this reminds me of.  No Man's Sky!  Obvs a little different, but you've got an algorithm that generates maps and enemies and textures and stuff, which leads me to my question:

Is it possible to get your web shooter to generate areas on the map on the fly so that as you approach the end of a particular area, it starts generating a new one?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 08:16:43 PM »
I just realised what this reminds me of.  No Man's Sky!  Obvs a little different, but you've got an algorithm that generates maps and enemies and textures and stuff, which leads me to my question:

Is it possible to get your web shooter to generate areas on the map on the fly so that as you approach the end of a particular area, it starts generating a new one?

Certainly, but right now, the light mapping is SLOOOWWW and it's probably never going to be fast.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 01:36:40 AM »
Imagine if it became an infinite space that constantly changes as you traverse it, and when you try to trace your steps back the environment has changed!  I'm really curious to see where you take this Brian :-)  A game like that could lend itself better to surrealism (your enemies are already pretty surreal) instead of crisp real-ish graphics so maybe ditching light maps for now and looking at other ways to stylise it like shaders/filters could work.  I dunno, just musing.  What's your vision?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 09:31:04 PM »
Right now it's "can it be done" and I still feel like I'm doing a lot of cheating.  It's sort of a sandbox where I can experiment with ideas for generating content.  Eventually, a game, and maybe an engine.  I just need to clear more time right now!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 11:57:25 AM »
FYI

Finally, some time!  I've been thinking and re-evaluating the code here and there, and I think I'm being to cautious.  For instance, when generating textures, if I generate something wood like, I have it randomly pick colors in the range of browns.  For all intents and purposes, it makes all the wood look the same.  And I try to restrict certain textures to certain types of objects.

While this makes a more regular type map, it also tends to make the same things over and over.  Who cares if the wood is lime green?  Or has randomly spaced wacky boards?  Or it's on a stair case?

Basically, I need to stop being restrictive and make it as random as possible.

Logan

• big kurty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 11:56:44 PM »
Wood doesn't have to be a wacky color to be unique - tons of things can be varied, such as plank width, length, grain size, grain depth, nails or no nails, color can be more reddish or less reddish, more saturated or unsaturated, can be oriented diagonal or latitudinal... just stuff that comes to mind

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 05:38:27 AM »
Wood doesn't have to be a wacky color to be unique - tons of things can be varied, such as plank width, length, grain size, grain depth, nails or no nails, color can be more reddish or less reddish, more saturated or unsaturated, can be oriented diagonal or latitudinal... just stuff that comes to mind

True!

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 12:57:31 AM »
You know I'm all for surrealism  8)  If you want to bring more colour and variation in, use less realistic textures that naturally want to be certain colours (wood wants to be brown for example) and go for more alien textures. With abstract enemies like the ones you've got, you could push the colour palette pretty far

To avoid it getting 'wacky' maybe you could use something like Adobe Color (it's an iPhone app) and point your camera at basically anything, then it'll pick out really nice and complimentary colours from the picture. You could then bake several of those palettes into the code so that colours chosen always compliment each other.  Cohesive palettes make ALL the difference

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
You know I'm all for surrealism  8)  If you want to bring more colour and variation in, use less realistic textures that naturally want to be certain colours (wood wants to be brown for example) and go for more alien textures. With abstract enemies like the ones you've got, you could push the colour palette pretty far

To avoid it getting 'wacky' maybe you could use something like Adobe Color (it's an iPhone app) and point your camera at basically anything, then it'll pick out really nice and complimentary colours from the picture. You could then bake several of those palettes into the code so that colours chosen always compliment each other.  Cohesive palettes make ALL the difference

good idea imo :0
Field of activity: graphic design, 3d modeling, concept art, music;

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »
Ooh, I also really like that idea.
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 05:15:26 AM »
So I'm finally freed up enough time to get back to working on this, if anybody is still here!

I feel like what I've done (as I said, experiment to see how possible it is) as phase 1.  Now I'm going to take what I learned there, and re-apply it to phase 2, which will have a good bit of rewritten code in the generators.

Goals from phase 1 are:

1. More random, but more of a actual playable map, which means less a blob and more a collection of rooms and choke points
2. More randomness is textures

As far as I got with phase 1, everything, which random, had a very small limit of things that would be generated.

[>] Brian