Author Topic: Web-Shooter Alpha 4  (Read 1762 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Web-Shooter Alpha 4
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:38:13 PM »
I might just start updating it without alerting anybody, as I usually just keep it up to date every once and a while if I need some testing done.  But two big things here!

As before, same URL: http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

Changes:
* lot of clean up in the code (as always, I'm now finalizing how certain code will work as I get systems done)
* updates to textures (they are less gloomy, a bit more random, and have a bit more color to them, I'm not doing doom3)
* sky boxes, sky textures (pretty early version, needs work), and open ceilings in places so you can see them
* liquid textures, and liquids (no liquid physics yet, so you can get trapped in liquids as there's no way to swim out)
* bunch of map updates to allow lower levels for liquids and the connectors for those levels
* update object collision to be more wrapped around central core of models
* better whips and some small updates for models

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
Re: Web-Shooter Alpha 4
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:14:33 AM »
I really like this Brian, the enemies are really creepy-looking, and the maps are hugely improved!

I only got stuck on one staircase, and only really noticed one enemy that was trying to shoot me from behind a wall.  Enemy animations don't seem to play though - a lot of them were just sliding around in a neutral pose

RE the sound effects, it sounds like an old school console audio generator - are you using something like that?  It'd be cool to have some sort of midi thing baked in so you could add music without taking up much space (that'd be cool in the non-web version too actually!)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »
Every sound effect is basically a place holder, I haven't even begun to figure out how I'll be generating sounds yet, so they are all basically sin waves or white noise, it's just code I wrote, it's all temporary right now.  And the physics, yeah, it's very early and got lots of bugs.  The animations (all randomized too) are kind of crappy.

I just have a LONG way to go. :)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 11:34:52 AM »
While working on some AI stuff I noticed that the coordinate system in the world and the coordinate system which I made models had the handedness reversed.  Oops!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:58:12 AM »
FYI: I'm now into actual physics work.  A lot of stuff that was in the physics was just mocked up or some quick hard coded code so I could get something running.  I'm now "common-izing" all the routines so they all run through the same base classes so everything works through the same physics.  Dealing with gravity and collisions and the collision mesh, etc.

With that, I can give monsters and projectiles completely different properties and randomize all that.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 11:17:30 AM »
Cool, glad you're still actively working on it!  It might not sound sexy when you type it but cleaning up code makes things more efficient and polished - looking forward to seeing those new monster/projectile properties  8)

Think you'll make an online version that can link to a remote data folder so we can have a play with it too?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 09:36:16 AM »
Cool, glad you're still actively working on it!  It might not sound sexy when you type it but cleaning up code makes things more efficient and polished - looking forward to seeing those new monster/projectile properties  8)

Think you'll make an online version that can link to a remote data folder so we can have a play with it too?

Right now there's no way to load up anything non-dynamic in it, but there's no reason it can't in the future.  There's not a single piece of data (not counting the shaders) associated with it, everything is made up on the fly.  There's no reason there can't be a version that, say, reads OBJ files or dim3 XML files or whatever.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 12:57:48 PM »
Cool, glad you're still actively working on it!

And, BTW, this is my new thing.  I work on it every chance I get which sometimes isn't as much as I want.

[>] Brian