Author Topic: Web-Shooter Alpha 2  (Read 4205 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Web-Shooter Alpha 2
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:40:50 PM »
I've updated the web shooter.  Still, obviously, alpha, but it's a playable game now, and tons of new system, new optimizations, and pretty much everything is in this.

http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

A couple things that aren't dynamic yet:
1. Weapon models
2. Projectile models
3. Projectile physics
4. AI (hard set to just activate and track you)

The sounds (what few there are) are auto-generated, but not randomly, so they don't change.

All that will be fixed, but everything else works great.

Arrow keys and ASWD to move, Q to fire, space to jump, and M to turn on the map.  You will need the latest and the greatest browsers to test, I've run it on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox (don't have Edge to test.)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Re: Web-Shooter Alpha 2
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 10:11:56 PM »
I just updated this, I found a better way to construct maps and updated some components to work better in modern browsers.  It makes a lot "bigger" and more "open" maps now.

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 12:39:08 AM »
Doesn't load for me, the screen stays white ):
Field of activity: graphic design, 3d modeling, concept art, music;

Logan

• big kurty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 12:47:59 PM »
You have to update to Firefox 45

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 02:30:47 PM »
What's the limitation on lights? I get ~3-4 on screen and the rest pop in and out.
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 06:05:38 AM »
What's the limitation on lights? I get ~3-4 on screen and the rest pop in and out.

4.  WebGL (especially because there's a windows bug that's long standing and eats a couple more) has a bit more limited amount of uniforms.  The other problem is that game where people make maps actually account for this in where they place lights and such, but my maps can show up as huge maps with tons of lights.

I need to think about a way to combine lights so they aren't so much room based and there can be less of them in site at time, and probably some better algorithms for picking which ones get to the shaders.

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 01:13:31 PM »
Nice progress! Creepy monsters! :3

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 08:48:49 PM »
Something about the randomly generated monsters is really off-putting, I like it!
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 07:12:35 AM »
Thanks everyone, I've got a long way to go but it looks like I'm at least making some interesting progress.

Lately I've been fixing up the lighting, I've packed up the gl uniforms into vec4 to save space, changed the algorithm to how it picks lights (there's still way to many) and increased the gl lights to 6, and which helps a lot.

I want to work on the decorations a bit, want to add a new limb type "whip" which any type (humanoid, animal, blob) can have (will serve as tail), and some other additions to the models.  I'm just throwing things at the wall with generating models right now, trying to work my way into something good.  I'll need to eventually work on making dynamic gun models (the one you see is hard coded.)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 07:40:21 AM »
FYI:

Lot of good stuff coming in the next build.

I've improved the lighting, and packed up the uniforms, so there's now 6 lights in a view, and I'm adding doors and short halls to break up the lighting a bit more, and some better routines for picking scene lights.

The models are much better, I've updated tons of wrapping code, some randomization in the vertexes, added a whip type limb (tails, whips, etc.) Added some random idle animations and some better random walking animations.  Fixed some twisted normals and other issues that were obscuring polygons.

Added a bunch of new textures (I replayed some old shooters for ideas!)  Improved some others, added some more options for dirty-ing up the textures.  Changed how they are picked so they use less duplicated types and more different types in a map.  Added a debugging mode that displays the textures (and generated sounds) for testing.

Some speed ups and bug fixes.  Map generation updates.

I'm getting a bit disappointed in Safari.  It doesn't run it as well as FF and Chrome (seems to run it was well as Edge, though.)  Lots of un-optimal GC and light mapping takes almost 8x as long as FF/Chrome, and it missing pointer lock is becoming a problem.  I actually put up some bug reports for it!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »
I updated the version.  There's so much new stuff in this one, and general improvements all over.  I think I can start working on random weapons, projectiles, and monster AI next and then I'll be closer to making a real game.

Notes: I can not recommend Safari unless you have a book to read.  It runs it fine, but startup takes 7-8 times as long (everything else is OK!)  That's the difference between 1 minutes and 8 minutes.  I left a bug on Apple's bug reporter, we'll see what happens.

Changes:

• fixed some bugs in the physics timing (the game runs must faster now)
  • slight color variations in lighting
  • packed lights into vec4 to save space, changed light in scene algorithm and now handling 6 lights (less pop in but it's still there)
  • some decoration random min/maxes are now dynamic based on room sizes
  • table decorations are now tables and shelves
  • better and more precise model sphere wrapping
  • whip/tail type limbs
  • random model mesh vertex variations
  • improved walk animations, added random idle animations
  • improved the particles
  • textures types are now marked so maps are less likely to keep picking the same type in the same map
  • added cement, block wall, metal shutters, and hexagonal texture types
  • improvements in other textures, plus new dirty streaking options
  • much better specular generation
  • added doors
  • added lifts
  • added map movements, looping and approach triggered

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 09:09:04 AM »
I noticed this version doesn't work on the new "technology preview" Safari.  I know what it is and have a fix, will put up a new copy after I finalize a couple other things!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 02:19:03 PM »
Updated version!

Not much in the engine, accept it can create a much larger and more dynamic range of humanoid models, and fixes for some stuff in the Safari technology preview.  Again, I recommend FF or Chrome, Safari is slow making light maps.

The biggest change is it runs the game in the best 16:9 window it can make in the current size of your browser, and it starts with a interface where you can change some of the settings of how it generates things.  It's only about 10% of the settings, but it's the ones you'll be most concerned with.  One important thing you can do is turn of light mapping, which speeds up start up tremendously.  It doesn't look is good, but can get you to the game faster.

Same location: http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 12:55:05 PM »
Nice!

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »
freelook plz
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.