Author Topic: new Zombie game :-)  (Read 8580 times)

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
Re: new Zombie game :-)
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2016, 01:05:11 AM »
New ability - you can pick up rocks and use them to make distractions!  While aiming, a line of aim rings shows you where the rock would hit so you can line up the throw.  When it hits the ground, a sound ring shows you where it hit, and nearby enemies run to that spot to check it out:

Video - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46335427/ZombieRockDemo.mov

EDIT:  you can now pick the rock back up and throw it again!  Here's a vid, though they spotted me on the second throw you can still see what I mean:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46335427/ZombieRocksDemo.mov

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2016, 04:51:05 PM »
Updated download:

- Enemies remember where they last saw you, so if you go out of sight they'll come looking where they think you may be
- Enemies can reliably shoot you when you're on the floor thanks to the wonder of trigonometry
- Started adding structures/obstacles that are more conducive with hiding (a couple more nooks and things to crawl behind - will keep adding until I get the formula right)
- A new action button has been added:
  * Press the action button when near a vent to make noise into it
  * Press it when by a rock to pick the rock up
  * Hold it when holding a rock to aim
  * Let it go when aiming to throw the rock to make a noisy diversion

The bit I'm particularly excited about is the ability to make noise into vents and drains.  The sound will travel and echo out another vent or drain, and nearby enemies will react.  If the sound is right next to them, they'll run away scared.  If they hear the sound but aren't next to it, they'll run over to check it out.  This is another way you can distract enemies to slip past

Have a play with it here:

< LINK REMOVED - NEWER LINK BELOW >

All feedback welcome  ;D

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »
Progress:  Have added the ability to vault over things.  The same action button that allows you to pick up rocks, aim and throw, and also lets you yell into drains/vents will also let you vault over certain barriers.  When you're close to one of these barriers/counters, the polygon you're standing on will send a message to your player script saying to ignore any other actions and to jump instead.  Once you're off the polygon, it'll go back to aiming if you've got a rock, or yelling if you're in front of a vent.  I think it's good to keep stuff like this all on one contextual button so it's simpler (also touch screen controls look awful and don't work so well when you've got too many buttons)

So imagine you're hiding behind a counter waiting for a guard to walk past - once they're gone you can vault over the counter!  Or if you're being chased and shot at, vault behind something for cover  8)

I won't update the download file with this ability until I've patched a few other things.  On the cards is stopping enemies from pulling out flashlights when you're behind walls - as the lights aren't ray-tracing, they shine straight through the wall and look silly.  Also when restarting levels the trackpad stops working and I don't know why - need to work that out before I put it out there (probably just the player script remembering old variables or something like that).  If there's anything strange you're noticing please let me know

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sentenced
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
Ok try this!

<< LINK REMOVED - NEWER LINK BELOW >>

It's really hard now - I tried to make it so that you really need to be sneaky and patient, and it's getting super tricky.  This updated link adds the ability to vault over certain barriers (there's a window bay right where you wake up you can jump through - it'll seriously save your life) and stops enemies from shining flashlights at you through walls.

You've really got to sneak around, and I personally have great difficulty getting to the door and knocking it down alive.  That rock, those vents and the light relay bollard thing are really important to getting past the guards alive

Really struggling with a decent name, please feel free to chip in with your two cents as Sentence or Sentenced are a bit meh, OutBreak sounds ok but I swear it's been used before...really not sure

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 10:26:54 PM »
I love the vent idea--how do you pick up the rocks? I was having trouble getting it to work with the spacebar, I assume the thing near you when you start is a rock?
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 10:48:45 PM »
Oh hey c^5 the action button does it all:

Press when above a rock to pick it up
Hold when you've got a rock to aim
Let go when aiming to throw it
Press when near a vent to yell into it
Press when by a barrier you can vault over

There's only one barrier you can vault over in the demo map but there'll be more soon ;-)

<EDIT - I don't think the action button is set by default in the download link I posted, you might have to go into settings and assign it...I'm using left alt for action, left command for melee, and space for crawling...I don't like that there are three buttons though, thinking of ways to get it back down to two>

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 03:00:30 AM »
Just started experimenting with normal and specular maps...brave new world  ;D

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sentenced
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2016, 03:13:17 PM »
And another screenshot with a bit more normal mapping minus the blurry blue filter I've been using.  No filter does make the darkness reeeally dark (too dark even) but it looks good

You don't see it in the shot but the zombie has glowing eyes now too.  Need to sort out the enemy models now, that's my next thing

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2016, 05:27:01 AM »
Very nice looking!

[>] Brian

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »
The normals help a lot... The protruding objects... lamp poles, vents, etc look like the shadows are not baked or something? I forget, does Dim3 bake in ambient occlusion? That's what those poles need.
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2016, 01:26:32 PM »
Shadows are baked, objects are projections.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »
Thanks Brian ;-) and you're absolutely right Ryan, the vent and poles (and benches, though you can't see them as well in this picture) are all off.  The poles ignore the light map trace because of issues getting the light to perfectly line up with the centre of the lamp (which causes a shadow that shouldn't be there) and the vent and benches are objects hence are also not a part of the light map.  I have some ideas about how to get around this - will keep you posted

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sentenced
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 02:53:09 PM »
A little glow-mapping so the zombie's eyes stand out in the dark:

Here's a new download link <NEWER LINK AVAILABLE - SEE LATEST POST> with the following updates:

- Camera now passes through the fence making navigation and seeing what you're doing a lot easier
- Modified light maps and obstacles/walls so you can, again, actually see what you're doing and where enemies are
- Enemies shouldn't get totally stuck on each other now (I gave up on trying to get them to navigate around each other in narrow spaces with only a single node path - all they really needed was some space to manoeuvre)
- Vaulting over barriers/benches is an official thing now...if you're not facing the right direction you will automatically turn and vault (this works for the window at the start and the benches under the shelter)
- Overhauled enemy vision routines (they're a LOT more efficient and faster now)
- Closed a few broken chains that caused enemies to suddenly freeze

*** Set button actions up before you play - there's a crawl/stand button, a contextual action button, and a melee button ***

Still in the works are:

- New enemy models (not urgent - I will do it though)
- Work on the lighting for models
- Make contextual instructions that flash up on screen telling you what to do at the appropriate time
- Suspense music for when the player is spotted (not to mention making better enemy sounds)
- There is a leak in the enemy script somewhere making them not switch off their flashlights on rare occasions - still looking for it

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »
Oh and now I have curtains that flap in the wind!  Check out this video of the operating theatre that the zombie initially escapes from:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46335427/ZombieOperatingTheatreSmall.mov

The room doesn't look great, and the theatre lights aren't properly attached to the ceiling, but you can see where I'm going with it ;-)  Also, no more health bar

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sentenced
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »
New screenshots: