Author Topic: new Zombie game :-)  (Read 8177 times)

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
new Zombie game :-)
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »
Oh hey, I've been doing weekly scripting lessons with a few of my friends teaching them how to make stuff with dim3 so hopefully you'll see some more contributing members joining the forum soon ;-) I was inspired when someone told me "unity is the future" and I'm like "lies!"  My new recruits are keen to get coding/building so we're going to work on a project together.

I'm working on a new enemy AI (much better than anything you saw in my old Ronja game) so that enemies can work together as a team, environmental things have a greater impact (stepping on broken glass makes noise, the speed that you walk makes more/less sound, enemies use node IDs to know how to interact with the environment (ducking/hiding etc)) and I'll be testing it using my old Ronja assets.  When the AI is solid (it's pretty stable already; enemies are able to amicably decide between them who should step out of the way to let the other past when crossing paths) it's map-building time!

The game concept is the opposite of a regular zombie scenario...there's just one zombie, you're it, and all the humans are trying to hunt you down and kill you.  So it's a stealth/evasion game where you're presented with moral choices along the way and there will probably be a human in there to takes pity on you and tries to help you.  Also, enemy and object layouts will be random so no two runs of a level are ever the same, and you'll use things like perfume to hide your stench and makeup/clothes to disguise yourself.  Anyway I can't wait to show you some stuff - I'll keep you posted

Wanted to post this as I'm curious what you guys are working on and I also want to see more things come out of dim3 so best to set an example myself ;-)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Re: new dim3 recruits & a new game!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 08:57:34 PM »
I look forward to see what you come up with!

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:45:15 AM »
Still don't have a name for the zombie but he's coming together now

Will keep you posted ;-)

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:24:35 AM »
Ok so the enemy AI has a few neat bits in it:

- 3 tiered alert system (unaware of player, heard something but not seen anything, knows the player is there) which changes behaviour depending on level of awareness
- If on high alert but cannot find player after a while they will downgrade their alert level and start walking around instead of running frantically
- Alert level affects their attentiveness i.e. if you're in the shadows but the enemy doesn't know you're there it probably won't notice you, but if it knows you're there you'll probably be spotted
- Player visibility is not only affected by distance, sound and field of vision, but also the level of lighting (EDIT - if lightening strikes the flash will reveal you)
- If an enemy is injured it will let other enemies within a certain radius know it's under fire and they'll come help
- If enemies bump into each other they will amicably decide who should step out of the way to let the other pass (this bit isn't perfect yet but it more or less works)
- Enemies look for node types so they can hide from you or obscure themselves behind the environment before taking pot shots
- They'll randomly switch between shooting and melee if you're within arm's reach
- Random patrol paths so you never know where they're going (I really like this bit because I normally know exactly what my enemies are going to do next but this time I genuinely don't)

What I'm working on integrating into enemies is:

- Some sort of courage function so that actions are influenced by their health, what weapons they've got, how injured you are, what weapon you're carrying, and if you catch them off guard
- I want to give some of them flashlights so they can find you in the dark - may possibly give some night vision goggles

What other kinda stuff do you think a good enemy script should have these days?  I'll share the full script when it's ready, at the moment it's a little messy with a few useless chains/functions that need to be removed tho

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
Here's a video of running around the prison yard - you'll see how enemies don't notice you when you're in the darkness, but when lightning strikes they spot you and start shooting. They then run off and hide, regroup, then get their flashlights out and come back to get you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46335427/ZombieDemo1.mov

I can't post the enemy AI script because it's more than the 20,000 character limit for posts - you can peek at it when I put a test build up soon ;)

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 01:58:48 PM »
Very cool! I would think in bright orange they would be able to see you unless you're very far away or have your back against something to mask silhouette.
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »
Yeah he's pretty orange  8)

At the moment the enemies only check lighting when you're within range of the 'watch' function and don't become any more sensitive to light the closer you get.  If I added a series of distance tiers it could mean they can see you even in the dark when up close, and the further you are the less likely they'll notice you.  Good thinking thanks!

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 05:28:46 PM »
you can also use a little bit of basic math and scale linearly up to a maximum distance
~Ryan

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 03:27:04 PM »
Neat idea, and I like the atmospheric effects! Have you considered having enemies notify each other when they see you? When the first enemy saw you I was expecting them to yell out "zombie zombie!" to the other guys nearby, or for them to hear the gunfire.

Also along the lines of what `teh1 said--it seems a bit strange that they can't see you since you're bright orange. It might be easier for the player to tell if they're visible or not and make the mechanic more apparent to a first time player if you tried to roughly match up the AI's ability to see you with how visible you actually are in the render, either by making his outfit darker or making him easier to spot by the AI.
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 12:48:03 AM »
What I've done now is when it's dark but you're fairly close to them within their field of vision, they'll turn on their flashlight and shine it in your direction, THEN if you're visible they'll open fire.  Being able to sneak around is important for the gameplay so I think I'll need to change the colour of the prison uniform or make the ambient lighting dimmer or something.  Ultimately I want to add stuff like disguises - maybe that'll affect your visibility factor, that could be cool

For sure the bots have gotta be able to talk to each other, so I'll add a shout-out function for when they spot you.  At the mo they only shout out to other bots when they're injured but they should definitely do it when they see you too.  Hearing gun fire is also a must.  Thanks for that, it's kinda obvious but I totally didn't think of it ;-)

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 02:58:50 PM »
So here's the enemies putting on flashlights to see you when they're in the dark, and when one spots you he calls out to the others who all line you up and take aim (I will add "hey there it is!" kinda sounds soon - enemies are silent at the mo)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46335427/ZombieDemo2.mov

Different costumes/visibility levels still to come but now they will notice you in the dark depending on how close you are then turn on their light to be sure before shooting giving you hopefully a chance to react.  PS I will make new enemy models - those guards are old assets from Ronja and they're pretty awful

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 04:31:32 PM »
"Feels" much better! Now increase their vision distance to "very far" and scale it down with the illumination. You were standing in the light and the guy didn't see you until you were too close.
~Ryan

Oddity007 wrote:

Logan

• big kurty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 11:36:44 PM »
This is exciting to see happening, I remember playing Black Rose back in the day and it feeling like one of the more "complete" feeling projects to come out of here. Good to see you're still kickin :) From both videos + the outline I'm intrigued enough to want to follow this - I like the way you are approaching the design.

Would you want any help with music production at some point? I enjoy scoring horror-themed scenarios and would love to be a part of another dim3 endeavor (been a while since the last time that happened)

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »
Oh hey Logan nice to see you back!  I remember Killer Robots, the sound track was epic!!  Let me put together more maps and stuff to see if you get inspiration for music - I usually do it all myself as I'm far better at music than making games, but I'm open to collaborating for sure

I've modified the enemy AI now so when you're in the dark and close to an enemy they'll shine a light on you, then if they spot you they'll yell out to their friends and it's game on!  Here's a short:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3upwc5nvo7wcu28/ZombieTest3.mov?dl=0

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »
Oh and darkening the ambient lighting makes it much better - you can't see the orange so much so it feels more realistic if an enemy doesn't spot you in the distance:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3ol3q308fwlf0f/Zombie4.mov?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqv3l05v2ilgzvp/Zombie5.mov?dl=0