Author Topic: Web-Shooter Alpha 1  (Read 13256 times)

c^5

• View Profile
Re: Web-Shooter Alpha 1
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2015, 05:44:37 PM »
I'm curious--how are you handling culling? I've noticed a few glitches where rooms are culled out that shouldn't be, but for the most part it seems to be working pretty well.
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2015, 10:18:06 PM »
Nice! Is there a way to make the shadows less dark? Half as dark would be enough imo. Nice process!

There a settings.js that has all the settings -- one of them is the ambient, which will effect that.  Nothing is exposed to the outside user unless they actually edit the files.  It's so early and I'm still figuring out how to do things that I haven't even thought about that!

I'm curious--how are you handling culling? I've noticed a few glitches where rooms are culled out that shouldn't be, but for the most part it seems to be working pretty well.

Right now, just frustum culling.  The maps aren't complex enough to get slowed down by anything else.  All the normal information is there so I can do a bunch of other things, but I'm still just feeling my way through this thing so I haven't gotten that far.  Generating trees would be cool but doing the light mapping is slow enough as is!

Since this version I'm improved some of the textures (there's more variations for some), and just now mostly working on trying to get a good creature skeleton, mesh, and textures going.  I have some early stuff but it's comically awful :)  Then I'll have to figure out how to do generated animations, then meshes for weapons, bullets, etc.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »
Actually, that's probably not culling you'll seeing -- what you are probably seeing is the limited amount of lights I can have in a scene -- so rooms are dark until you get close enough so that light falls into the # of lights in a scene.  I've actually fixed this, now it ignores lights outside the light cone that are in a 180 degree radius behind you.  It won't be perfect, but that eliminates most of that lighting pop-in.

That's another problem with auto-generated maps.  Normally you'd control lights and have corners and stuff to work around those things!

[>] Brian

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2015, 10:46:47 AM »
Oh that makes sense--have you considered deferred rendering? If you just rendered each light as a post pass you could probably render a lot more lights simultaneously, I bet the naive implementation without any of the clever tile based optimizations or such would be enough to solve the problem.
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »
Oh that makes sense--have you considered deferred rendering? If you just rendered each light as a post pass you could probably render a lot more lights simultaneously, I bet the naive implementation without any of the clever tile based optimizations or such would be enough to solve the problem.

It's something to investigate in the future!  Want to get somewhere with monster mesh generation first, and this is a whole new puzzle to figure out!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2015, 06:26:41 AM »
So I'm officially on to generating models now.  Not doing a lot of coding, and everything I do I pretty much throw away and try again.  Got some ideas, just have to find the right one.  Still a lot to go on map generation, obviously, but I want to get another major system in there.  So, in a while, probably a good while the way this is going I'll have something else with generated monsters in it.  Then generating guns and projectiles (that should be easily, they are less organic.)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2015, 06:06:21 AM »
My idea seems to be working, so now I'll move on to creating the basic chunks of a skeletal animation system!  So much low level grunt work to do at this point. :)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2015, 07:34:05 AM »
FYI: Got some neat stuff, but progress is slow as I'm trying to create a lot of new stuff, a lot of it experimental that gets thrown away, and I keep getting busy.  Got a basic skeletal animation system down (no animations but some canned ones for testing.)  Maybe something for holidays!

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »
Looking forward to it  8) even if it's clunky at first I still want to play around with it!

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2015, 11:34:14 PM »
Here's my Christmas present, a new version!

Again, this is super duper alpha.  Many things will change.  Since this is basically starting over there's a lot that I need to fill in that.  There's a temporary gravity now and you can jump with space :)

Other than a lot of bug fixes and other things, I've got the start in auto-generating models and large chunks of a skeletal animation system for said models.  Repeat, this is all alpha stuff.  But if you run it, you'll see a number of different monsters (all with a random number of limbs and random animations on those limbs) littering the map.  This is very rough, but I think I've found a good system to build on.

http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »
It's really trippy - the baddies kind of look like liquid metal robots.  It's all randomly generated right?  If so it's the best auto-generated map I've seen in Dim3 so far.  I remember older auto-generated maps had really weird proportions (mega wide doors, irregular number of corners in rooms, odd ceiling heights etc) but this one is pretty good!  Would be great if textures lined up better, but that's surely not a priority right now.  So far so good  8)

Logan

• big kurty
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2015, 01:14:48 AM »
So far I only seem to get one same type of NPC (chunky dude with the cactus-lookin arms) but it's pretty exciting to see the progression of this project. Some of the generated textures end up looking really good actually

EDIT: Durr, just noticed they all have different abdominal structure and the no. of arms is variant. That's neat too.

esp. when you see this fucker with the ten different appendages

I love it

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »
That's everybody!  Everything you see is super early stuff so (hopefully) it'll all be 10 times better before it gets closer to beta.  I think I'm going to step back and work on some optimizations as I've got a lot of system at least started, it's time to look at speed ups.  The one that really worries me is light map generation; that's just slow and is usually one of the slowest part of map creation in other system.  We'll see!

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2015, 06:52:57 AM »
simply awesome
Field of activity: graphic design, 3d modeling, concept art, music;

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2015, 10:08:51 PM »
One of the big reasons for this project is to try out all the new ecmascript 6 stuff.  A lot of it is supported but a lot isn't, and I'm thinking that I might have to stick with Chrome for a while as it represents the best supported features.

[>] Brian