Author Topic: Web-Shooter Alpha 1  (Read 10595 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Re: Web-Shooter Alpha 1
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 05:00:54 AM »
FYI -- decided to rework a bit of the code to make it more straight forward and a bit quicker.  It's really early in the project and want to make sure what's going on at the bottom is absolutely correct.

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 03:50:23 AM »
I was wondering about how far this is compatible with various operating systems and browsers because I'd love to build something like that for my website. Either as eyecandy or actual functional navigation for my website. Or are there any better alternatives for that scenario?
My rules for webdesign:

1. make it work on as many browsers possible
2. make it work for as many people possible
3. make it look good

If I really do this then I won't need that much detail, I don't even need bitmap-textures (would be nice though) or complex animation and I most certainly don't need specularity or bumpmaps. Just static, plain polycolored polymeshes portraying playing pong ... or maybe just a 3d website in a 3d website
Field of activity: graphic design, 3d modeling, concept art, music;

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »
I was wondering about how far this is compatible with various operating systems and browsers because I'd love to build something like that for my website. Either as eyecandy or actual functional navigation for my website. Or are there any better alternatives for that scenario?
My rules for webdesign:

3. make it look good

If I really do this then I won't need that much detail, I don't even need bitmap-textures (would be nice though) or complex animation and I most certainly don't need specularity or bumpmaps. Just static, plain polycolored polymeshes portraying playing pong ... or maybe just a 3d website in a 3d website

2 & 3 are doable.  1, not so much.  It depends really on the people.  Right now, chrome, firefox, and safari get lots of updates.  Safari actually lags behind a bit, it's not as aggressively updated as chrome or firefox.  IE is a LOT worse.  But, Microsoft is replacing IE in the coming year and then it'll be aggressively updated, too.  If people are letting their stuff update (the default) then you should be good.  But you'll run into a LOT of older IE installations, and this kind of stuff does not run on them.

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
My rules for webdesign:

3. make it look good

2 & 3 are doable.  1, not so much.  It depends really on the people.  Right now, chrome, firefox, and safari get lots of updates.  Safari actually lags behind a bit, it's not as aggressively updated as chrome or firefox.  IE is a LOT worse.  But, Microsoft is replacing IE in the coming year and then it'll be aggressively updated, too.  If people are letting their stuff update (the default) then you should be good.  But you'll run into a LOT of older IE installations, and this kind of stuff does not run on them.

[>] Brian

How much work is it to test and fix it for different browsers? Are there different requirements?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
It's not really about testing and fixing, it's about support.  IE didn't have WebGL until recently.  They are still sorting out some HTML5 stuff, etc.  I think when Spartan (the new IE) comes out, everything will be OK.  That'll support all the stuff 11 does (and everything runs there) and will be updated aggressively.

Either the browser has the required level of support, or it doesn't.  There's really no alternative option.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 01:13:54 PM »
I put up a new version.  There's no a lot visually different, but a lot of work under the hood is getting done.

• Code is cleaner and better laid out
  • Mesh frustum culling implemented
  • Text engine implemented
  • Displays FPS/mesh count/position
  • Sliced based timing engine implemented
  • Bits and pieces of models started

And various other updates, fixes, improvements.  Next up will be the start of the random skeleton/models.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Getting further and further into, got a small part of physics done (since I'm generating the map I can generate collision surfaces instead of colliding with the entire map) and more stuff in model/skeleton generation.

Since, right now, this is just a big experiment, I'm going to always require latest and greatest browsers to run it.  Everybody should be updating at this moment.  Some good stuff coming down the line in the new javascript, especially module support which will clean up my code tremendously.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
I updated the live version:

http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

Unless you care to follow this closely, this isn't really anything you have to click on, but there's a lot of new code.  I've got bits and parts of the physics started, though that's not hooked up.  I have some monster skin bitmap generation routines (also not hooked up!)  I also have the start of the random skeleton generation and the start of the entities (monsters, etc) in the map.  You'll see some random model skeletons around.

Starting to get far enough to where it actually resembles something that could be a game!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2015, 07:51:40 AM »
Current Progress (to anybody that is listening!)

Lots of updates to the bitmap generation.  They had crazy specular values which was throwing off the lighting, you couldn't see any of the generated light map.
Finally fixed the eye coordinate problems in the lighting shaders.
Some more map units for building maps.
Some more under-the-hood physics updates (nothing hooked up yet.)
More skeleton generation and the start of model mesh generation.

There's some more code I want to clean and I'll probably put up a new version for the heck of it.

[>] Brian

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
Well, I'm sure a few of us are still lurking. ;p
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2015, 09:26:51 AM »
Well, I'm sure a few of us are still lurking. ;p
I do for sure 8)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2015, 12:31:44 PM »
This new project -- it's coming along fast -- but it's also going to take a while, and I don't really want to launch it without enough browsers being capable of ECMAScript 6, just so I can do it with classes and modules and other nice stuff.  So thanks for sticking along and lurking :)  It'll be a while though!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 06:56:32 AM »
I updated the project again.  Not a lot to see, but the beginnings of monster model generation (just a bunch of primitives around a distorted skeleton) and some skin texture and simple face generation.  Implemented a lot of the live map entities stuff -- nothing showing yet but that gets me ready for actual physics and monster movement.  A ton of internal changes to shore up some code, and a bunch of bug fixes.

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 10:16:28 AM »
how do I move up/down? right now I can only move horizontally

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 11:50:37 AM »
Page up/page down and home/end for move up/down and look up/down.  Next version I'm going to hopefully have real physics and that will be a thing of the past.

[>] Brian