Author Topic: Web-Shooter Alpha 1  (Read 13746 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Web-Shooter Alpha 1
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »
Just as some of you are curious, here's my alpha of web-shooter.

NOTE: This is all brand new, just started stuff.  Don't judge it harshly!

Alright, arrow keys to move, home/end or insert/delete to go up down, page up/down to look.  There is no physics, you are basically in fly through mode.

You need a modern browser (IE11, chrome, firefox, safari.)

When it first starts, it picks two random numbers.  This the the bitmap and map seeds.  After it makes a map, you can change these seeds and hit refresh (refreshing the entire page gives you new random seeds.)  The same seed gives the same results.

It can sometimes make a crappy map, and sometimes a great one.  There's NO lighting yet, so the shaders are all funky.

A good seed:
bitmap = 3035375625
map = 3753621850

http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

This is basically all about dynamic generation.  Everything you see, from bitmaps to map, are dynamically generated.  There's bump and spec maps, too, but with no lighting, they aren't obvious.

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
Re: Web-Shooter Alpha 1
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:33:16 AM »
Just as some of you are curious, here's my alpha of web-shooter.

NOTE: This is all brand new, just started stuff.  Don't judge it harshly!

Alright, arrow keys to move, home/end or insert/delete to go up down, page up/down to look.  There is no physics, you are basically in fly through mode.

You need a modern browser (IE11, chrome, firefox, safari.)

When it first starts, it picks two random numbers.  This the the bitmap and map seeds.  After it makes a map, you can change these seeds and hit refresh (refreshing the entire page gives you new random seeds.)  The same seed gives the same results.

It can sometimes make a crappy map, and sometimes a great one.  There's NO lighting yet, so the shaders are all funky.

A good seed:
bitmap = 3035375625
map = 3753621850

This is basically all about dynamic generation.  Everything you see, from bitmaps to map, are dynamically generated.  There's bump and spec maps, too, but with no lighting, they aren't obvious.

[>] Brian

I love it! Can't wait to see more
Field of activity: graphic design, 3d modeling, concept art, music;

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
There will be a long time before it's anything useful, but it's nice to do a clean room approach and skip all the things I screwed up last time.  Working on lighting now, possibly generating light maps (if it's fast enough for map start-up), better textures, upgraded shaders, etc.  Once I get all the graphic parts down, I'll work on actual physics.

Should be interesting.

[>] Brian

Bink

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 02:41:06 AM »
Can you make it export to obj for the geometry and png for the textures?
How about some parameters to control room size, stair height, etc.?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 05:38:36 AM »
Can you make it export to obj for the geometry and png for the textures?
How about some parameters to control room size, stair height, etc.?

In the future, sure.  All that are parameters that can be adjusted, but right now I'm just trying to get down the most basic parts of the engine.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 08:59:11 PM »
Update: Got major parts of the light mapping done, and other parts of the lighting.  Once I get that all together, I can get proper lighting working.  Once I get that all together, I'll put up another copy!

Of course, the minute I start this google code closes down, so I moved the code to GitHub.  Will move dim3 there, too.  It won't be shut down for a year so I have some time.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:59 PM »
Updated!

Obviously still working on a lot of the low level stuff as this is all brand new code, but take a look if you want.  There's real lighting (the specs are way to high on the generated textures though.)  Map lights.  It builds light maps.  Again, sometimes it's a good map, sometimes it's bad.  The light maps aren't the most high quality because I need them to generate fast enough to be usable.

There's some GLSL problems that force me to reduce the # of lights in a view so there's some pop-in.  But I'm getting most of the drawing routines in there, and a good start in the random generation.

[>] Brian

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:59:11 AM »
You should choose a better control scheme. Most apple product users these days do not have an insert key and AFAIK there is not fn-alternative.
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 10:45:44 AM »
You should choose a better control scheme. Most apple product users these days do not have an insert key and AFAIK there is not fn-alternative.

Oh, that's completely and utterly temporary.  Eventually it'll be mouse control, but to do that takes a lot of stuff I haven't gotten to yet.

[>] Brian

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
I think something might be wrong with the shaders--it seems like the diffuse lighting is view dependent as well as the specular. It's easiest to see what I'm noticing on the floor when facing forwards and rotating.
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 08:13:44 AM »
I think something might be wrong with the shaders--it seems like the diffuse lighting is view dependent as well as the specular. It's easiest to see what I'm noticing on the floor when facing forwards and rotating.

I check it out, all the numbers are really wobbly right now as everything is auto-generated.  Another problem is the light mapping doesn't take diffuse into consideration yet.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 12:56:54 PM »
Latest:

Again, super alpha, just working things out.  Updates in this:
  • Improved Textures
  • Some different texture variations
  • Speed up the light map generating (but maps are bigger so it's still takes a bit)
  • Much more interesting maps
  • Other various fixes and such
The light maps are something I'm puzzling over.  I've got a ways to go, but I'm trying to keep them as low quality as possible to make the light map generation fast, but that means lots of artifacts.  Otherwise, it'll take 10 minutes to generate a map!  Regardless, moving right along.  Hopefully some physics is next.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 07:36:28 PM »
Updated again.  In these early stages I just throw up current progress.  In this one:
  • Fixed all the shader issues
  • Fixed all the generated UV and tangent space issues
  • Updated plus new classes of generated textures
  • Slightly improved light mapping
  • General bug fixes and updates
  • Has forum + github link

[>] Brian

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 08:37:30 PM »
Some of the grainy textures it's coming up with are looking really cool--I'm still seeing the shading issues though. If it'd be any help I can try to get a video of it (won't be able to tell from a single frame.)
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
I've spent the last 5 or 6 hours trying to solve one small problem that only shows up on windows machines only on certain browsers and only for certain reasons.  Once I figured it out -- two vec3 in a structure in a GLSL problem stomp on each other -- I was able to find the bug in the browser's bug lists.  That was a colossal waste of time, and the workaround is ugly.

Oh well.

c^5 -- I've got some more updated shaders I'll put out next time.  There's probably still bugs here and there that need to be fixed.

[>] Brian