Author Topic: What are steps 4 char. creation  (Read 6210 times)

Joseph Girty

• View Profile
    • chaos bros films
    • Email
What are steps 4 char. creation
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »
i was wondering what the steps are for creating a character? so far i got.

import mesh
build skeleton
assign vertices
create poses/animations
gamer, lover, film maker

DomReardon

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are steps 4 char. creation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 01:10:08 AM »
Seems like you've done everything you need to in Animator. I guess the next thing you'll want to do is create a script for your character and bring him/her into the editor. Not being a good programmer, I usually start out by modifying an existing script, initially just replacing the model, then adding functions. Eventually replacing this Frankenstein script with something built from scratch.

Joseph Girty

• View Profile
    • chaos bros films
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 08:23:30 AM »
What about the hit boxes? What is calculate boxes and calculate normals. What is prepare model? Are these things important?
gamer, lover, film maker

DomReardon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »
Depends what you want from your character. Hit boxes, for example, can be useful if you're making an FPS and you want different animations, or different amounts of damage dealt for head shots, body shots, leg shots etc. But they're not necessary. Normals are a whole big can of worms, but yeah, they are important. If you're not familiar with what normals actually are, you'll probably want to do a bit of research into what they are and how they work. You can set the Animator to 'Show Normals' whith one of the buttons along the top, and you'll see a bunch of magenta lines sticking out of your model, basically (and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm explaining this wrong) they show the direction from which a polygon will be viewed, so they should be sticking out towards the viewer, not in away from the viewer. Normals effect lighting and in some cases a poly with the normal facing away from the camera will be culled and not show up at all. Fixing normals is a wee bit fiddly, but ultimately you will want to do it. Then there's normal maps, which can make a low poly model look like a high poly model, this is an ace thing, but something you would do in your modelling application, not in Dim3. Can't quite remember exactly what Prepare Model does, think it's for calculating the size of the bounding box the model occupies, for collisions etc.
Hope this helps, let me know if it's not making sense to you.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 07:46:32 AM »
DomReardon is pretty much right on.  Getting normals right is a pain and probably best that the object you import has good normals to start with, but without good normals, none of the GPU effects will render right -- things like bump mapping and specular highlights.  And in certain places, you'll just see the polygon disappear.

Joseph Girty

• View Profile
    • chaos bros films
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 03:40:34 PM »
I know about normals. If the normals are wrong you will see holes through your model or it will appear inside out. Happens if you build your polygons counter clockwise OR how one program reads the other... i was just wondering what all the steps were so i could finish up my importing models tutorials... (not sure if anybody watched them yet. been posting them on youtube.)

So if you import a wall model or a chair it will automaticly have collision. you don't have to set up a hit box for each object.
gamer, lover, film maker

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »
2, Normals are best tracked and maintained as you are creating your model in your program of choice be it blender, c4d, wings, etc. As long as you make sure your OBJ export to Dim3 has the correct normals, you should not ever have to worry about normals in Dim3. After all, Animator is NOT a modeler.
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 06:00:09 AM »
[] Happens if you build your polygons counter clockwise []

Are you working with C4D?
Field of activity: graphic design, 3d modeling, concept art, music;

Joseph Girty

• View Profile
    • chaos bros films
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 02:32:02 PM »
Are you working with C4D?

No. I use truespace mostly also fragmotion.
gamer, lover, film maker

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 10:39:11 PM »
TrueSpace (styled as trueSpace) was a commercial 3D computer graphics and animation software developed by Caligari Corporation, bought-out by Microsoft. As of May 2009, it has been officially discontinued, but with some 'unofficial support' up to February 2010, at least.
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

Joseph Girty

• View Profile
    • chaos bros films
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 03:16:53 PM »
@teh 1

Not sure what you are saying about truespace ??? but yes, that truespace. It is still available for download. There is still a small community forum for it. http://united3dartists.com/ 

also, many tutorials for it on youtube. It's a great program. ;)
gamer, lover, film maker

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 04:37:51 AM »
@teh 1

Not sure what you are saying about truespace ??? but yes, that truespace. It is still available for download. There is still a small community forum for it. http://united3dartists.com/ 

also, many tutorials for it on youtube. It's a great program. ;)

6 years are a lot of time when it comes to technological progress, especially with 3d graphics and game development. It's just that you might be much, much faster with software that's up to date. I'd suggest to try something like Maya or C4D. It's not like you'd start from the beginning again. The approach for creating a 3d model is usually the same. Only the workflow is just much, much, much faster and the possibilities are endless. You could try Blender too, it improved a lot recently so it's not that much of a mess anymore
Though, I don't want to talk you out of trueSpace, feel free to use it, if you're honestly comfortable with it. (:

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
6 years are a lot of time when it comes to technological progress, especially with 3d graphics and game development. It's just that you might be much, much faster with software that's up to date. I'd suggest to try something like Maya or C4D. It's not like you'd start from the beginning again. The approach for creating a 3d model is usually the same. Only the workflow is just much, much, much faster and the possibilities are endless. You could try Blender too, it improved a lot recently so it's not that much of a mess anymore
Though, I don't want to talk you out of trueSpace, feel free to use it, if you're honestly comfortable with it. (:
If you look into switching but you can't afford Maya or C4D, or don't want to spend money on a modeler right now, blender is widely used and free. (I haven't used Maya or C4D myself so I can't compare them to blender, it's just nice to have a free option.)
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

Joseph Girty

• View Profile
    • chaos bros films
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »
@ Imon and c^5

Truespace still runs fine on windows 7 and 8. It's a great modeler and i'm very comfortable with it. I'll keep using it til the wheels fall off. Maybe one day i'll use blender.
gamer, lover, film maker

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »
Truespace still runs fine on windows 7 and 8.
That's not the point

It's a great modeler and i'm very comfortable with it. I'll keep using it til the wheels fall off. Maybe one day i'll use blender.
Sure, no problem!
just wanted to explain `teh1's post and point out some better alternatives. Have fun! (: