Author Topic: dim3 v24 Release  (Read 19228 times)

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
Re: dim3 v24 Release
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2016, 02:48:54 PM »
Hmm I quite like how well Dim3 works on older hardware - don't want to break it.  I'll try a few workarounds - if for example there are any particularly big lights, I could just switch them off when in adjacent rooms using a script and switch them back on when you're in the room they're meant to light up...something like that

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2016, 07:01:57 AM »
Hmm I quite like how well Dim3 works on older hardware - don't want to break it.  I'll try a few workarounds - if for example there are any particularly big lights, I could just switch them off when in adjacent rooms using a script and switch them back on when you're in the room they're meant to light up...something like that

Or just keep hallways far enough away from other rooms or have the parts of those rooms away from where the light in the hallway is; sometimes in games they separate things to work around how the engine works.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2016, 06:18:34 AM »
True that, like those classic long hallways before you reach big open spaces  ;)

Separate question - is there any way to turn rain on and off using a script?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
No, I don't think I ever added that.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »
Oh hey so I found something interesting in v24 - when lights overlap, you occasionally get zones of the map that are 'dark'.  Anything within that area will have what appears to be an inverted specular map (if you're using specular maps) and even with light shining on it it'll stay dark.

Obvs not a problem if you keep your lights from overlapping, but I thought I'd mention this in case it's not expected behaviour

EDIT - so it appears to be when two light sources touch a single polygon or mesh, that polygon or mesh doesn't light up correctly.  Just gotta be careful with lighting I guess ;-)

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2017, 03:49:08 AM »
Hola Brian, question...I recall you putting Scruffy's model on the start screen of Scruffy 3D - is there any way to change the location/colour/intensity of the light source?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »
Hola Brian, question...I recall you putting Scruffy's model on the start screen of Scruffy 3D - is there any way to change the location/colour/intensity of the light source?

Yup.  You made me go back and look at the Scruffy model, that was a really nice model :)

In editor, select the model, go to settings, and way at the bottom there's a bunch of settings for UI lighting.  Basically offsets to where the single light is that lights it.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2017, 05:18:34 AM »
Ace, thanks!  Final question on this - is there a way to change the ambient light colour on the start screen?  I believe it's set to white

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2017, 06:59:58 AM »
Ace, thanks!  Final question on this - is there a way to change the ambient light colour on the start screen?  I believe it's set to white

No, the lighting stuff is mostly used so the shading can look good on the model.  You can probably fake it by making a version of the model that has a texture that's darker, if that's what you are looking for (i.e., back in the darkness.)

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2017, 12:39:19 PM »
Ahso yeah that's what I meant - like it's in the darkness and the light only shows a little bit of its face. Cool I'll try darker textures, good idea!