Author Topic: dim3 v24 Release  (Read 15268 times)

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Galavant Garde - Dark Electro Disco Pop
    • Email
Re: dim3 v24 Release
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2016, 02:21:50 PM »
Hey Brian with all that ray tracing stuff you've been working on, what do you think about making ray-tracing lighting?  Or even a ray-tracing sun that you can add lens flare halos to?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 06:17:12 AM »
Hey Brian with all that ray tracing stuff you've been working on, what do you think about making ray-tracing lighting?  Or even a ray-tracing sun that you can add lens flare halos to?

That was neat stuff, but there just isn't the computing power for that.  The lightmapping phase IS ray tracing (they all are.)  Just done off-line and built into textures.  That's an area I'm working on speeding up right now but don't know how far I can take it without severely reducing the quality, it's just a really complex and long operation.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
Ahso cool, I might try some cheap tricks for now like making models shaped like cones of light with translucent textures and see how that looks, and put some lights in them that get skipped when baking light maps...it may or may not look terrible but could work

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 01:52:58 PM »
FYI: Got some fun stuff coming.  Mostly working on clean up and code optimization right now as that's gotten away from me as I am building a lot of stuff from scratch.  I'm decided to simplify the shapes that make maps; two many wild shapes made to many similar things, so I'm making maps out of combing 3 simple shapes; a box, a half circle, and a slanted box.  Those together will probably cover 99% of reality, and then I decorate them and combine them.  They make different shapes by being connected to one another instead of canned weirdness.  It's a better system then the current system.

Also, better light mapping.  A bunch of speed-ups in generation (light mapping is faster but it'll never be lightening fast).  Lots of bug fixes -- for instance text was never drawing right now it's shadowed and always on-top.  Tons of code clean-up, a concatenation of all the various settings into a single editable file, etc.

I added a 2D overlay map so I could more closely monitor what was being generated, and a whole bunch of debugging operations.

Again, very early, very pre-alpha, and still just a lot of experimentation, but it seems to be actually started to form into something!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 10:08:16 PM »
New version!

http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

Just refresh the browser to get a completely new map/models/textures.  There's not a lot done on models here, most of the work I did this time was on map generation, code clean up, and speed ups.  Things I've done:

Generates much better, a more complex (and more open) maps -- there's a bit more light pop in because of this, though
There's normal culling (sometimes the normals aren't perfect on the models) and more speed ups
Things like map building and light maps creation are 2-3 times faster
Improved text drawing routines
Add overlay map (eventually it'll be something you can turn on/off, it's really for debugging map creation.)
There's 3 model body types now (blob, humanoid, and animal.)  Not much else has been updated here
Tons of code clean up and bug fixes

I'm going to keep plugging away but eventually I'm going to have to pull some browsers until they have better support -- for instance, both chrome and firefox have the html5 full screen relative mouse mode, but safari doesn't.  Things like that are a long way off, hopefully support will catch up to what I'm doing!

[>] Brian

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 08:46:49 PM »
Pretty laggy/choppy. Comes and goes. But I'm still impressed that it looks this good being fully web/js.
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 10:10:37 PM »
Pretty laggy/choppy. Comes and goes. But I'm still impressed that it looks this good being fully web/js.

Yeah, that's actually not webgl/js, all that stuff ones pretty fast.  It's the timing system.  I might have to switch it.  It comes and goes through something I don't quite understand yet.  I'm using a new html5 events spec, and it just has a problem sending me events for a couple seconds, and then suddenly it's back.

It might be my bug, but I haven't been able to track it down.  I think it's associated with the browser redrawing something elsewhere.

[>] Brian

Galavant Garde

• Cayelan Mendoza
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
Looks good!  8) there was only one bit of map geometry that messed up (a staircase diagonally cut off by a wall) which is pretty good for a randomly generated map!  Is it just me or do the light maps and textures look better?  Love the map BTW

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 07:02:20 AM »
Looks good!  8) there was only one bit of map geometry that messed up (a staircase diagonally cut off by a wall) which is pretty good for a randomly generated map!  Is it just me or do the light maps and textures look better?  Love the map BTW

There's been a lot of general improvement here or there.  And note that there's a lot of random texture types, so refreshing the page might get you a completely different texture type for things.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »
FYI: I've gotten extremely busy at work but I'm plowing away at this in the background.  It's good to be paused for a second because I'm still waiting for a lot of ECMAscript6 to hit some of the browsers!

I want to get some more work done on the models, then work on it constructing machine models (like weapons) and then try to get some pseudo game play in there (monsters attack, you get a random weapon to shoot, projectiles, etc.)

Try to get in a lot of system, and then just start the slow process of figuring out better and better generation routines, which is the whole point of the project!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 10:02:39 PM »
I updated the version on-line, as always, at: http://www.klinksoftware.com/ws/

There is nothing new creation wise in this one, BUT, I fixed a bunch of dumb things I did.  I was tending to still think of WebGL in a C, OpenGL way and ended up triggering massive GCs.  All this has been cleaned up.  The code should have a super solid high frame rate now, I can get around 40 fps.  Granted, there isn't a million polygons here, but it's all in Javascript.

That's why some of you were having bad performance.  I'll know better next time!

Just wanted to update so if anybody stumbles upon it, it'll be running fast until I can get new stuff up there.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »
FYI: While waiting on Firefox to release a version that handles classes (really syntactical sugar but it'ls optimal for me) I'm just hitting parts here and there, no real direction of work at this point.

I'm developing some new dynamic creature textures -- I have a pretty cool fur, scales, and kind of a terrible leather-y doom monster like texture that I'll probably redo.  Doing a bunch of work on the dynamic models.  I have the start of a dynamic weapon model builder (just makes a single tube now, but the stubs are in.)  Started weapons and will start projectiles after that.  Misc. bug fixes, etc.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
Next version will have v2 of my map generator.  I like what the first version was doing, but it made pretty constrained maps (and maps with too many dark areas) and very unrealistic maps, and it looked like it was canned.  So I'm trying something new, using things I learned on v1.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »
Current Progress:

* a whole lot of optimizations, especially tricky with javascript and avoiding GC (means a lot of giant buffers for data!)
* version 2 of the map generator is done
* version 2 of the model generator is done -- still a long way to go but I'm starting to get neat stuff out of both of these
* got the start of the weapons engine
* got the start of the projectile engine
* created the particle engine
* lots of physics updates and fixes
* got most of the entity system (anything not a map, like monsters, the player, when I have doors and such, are entities)
* misc bugs fixes and such

I'll probably update the web copy right before I start the major emcascript 6 update to use classes (which will be another code and hopefully optimization win) when the next firefox comes out (firefox is the one lagging with out of the box class support.)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2016, 02:51:50 PM »
More FYI, and this will need to be on a separate thread: Sometime early in March FF 45 comes out, and that'll have class support, which is the last big thing I need to re-optimize the code (and work on some of the GC pauses.)  I wrote most of the code in anticipation for classes and that means un-optimal objects, which the classes will clean up.

When that happens, I'll put out another copy that will be playable.  You'll get to kill monsters :)

[>] Brian