Author Topic: dim3 v24 Release  (Read 16066 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
dim3 v24 Release
« on: July 02, 2014, 07:04:07 AM »
Next release, this list isn't big but the things I've done represent a lot of updates to important parts of the system.  The rag dolls are pretty preliminary, they need a lot more bone information to work properly, but all the important math and animations are there.  Transparency is better handled, but as described before, it'll be slower on modern system and won't always be perfect (no real time system is.)  A lot of stuff in the auto-generator, a lot of small fixes in Editor.

The demo project is still the same.

OS X: http://www.klinksoftware.com/download/dim3_0024.zip
Windows: http://www.klinksoftware.com/download/dim3_0024_win32.zip
Data: http://www.klinksoftware.com/download/Data.zip

Code: [Select]
Engine
 * initial rag doll support
 * animation changes automatically smoothly reset rag dolls
 * fixed a crashing bug where removed projectiles could have remaining pointers in hit structures
 * joining now has a custom host tab for hosts not in the host list
 * static chase camera needs same > 180 to negative X flip as regular chase camera
 * models are now transparency sorted

Scripting
 * added xxx.model.animation.ragDollStart(forcePos,force,needReset,msec) to start rag dolls
 * added xxx.model.animation.ragDollRandom(needReset,msec) to start random rag dolls
 * added xxx.model.animation.ragDollClear() to clear rag doll changes

Editor
 * "rotate polygon UV" was mislabeled "reset polygon UV" in the menu
 * goto selection now rise up or down if view is top/bottom
 * deleting/adding texture frames, light/reflection maps texture changes all speed up
 * tons of auto-generator additions and updates
 * OS X scrolling works better when zoomed out (was OK on windows)
 * some fixes to the set mesh normal in/out functions
 * models are now transparency sorted
 * model texture palette changes
    * reflects any selected polygons
    * click a texture resets it to any selected polygons

[>] Brian

c^5

• View Profile
Re: dim3 v24 Release
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:08:02 AM »
I'm out of town so I haven't had much chance to mess with this version, but I quickly scripted the demo's bots to ragdoll when they die. Very cool, I look forward to seeing it finished!
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

Koridar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »
For some reason in the Animator, clicking on a texture now defaults to polygon select mode, making it impossible to select vertices via textures. Haven't had the chance to play with it much lately, but looks good so far!
Be a voice, not an echo

Current Incarnation: Timeless One

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
For some reason in the Animator, clicking on a texture now defaults to polygon select mode, making it impossible to select vertices via textures. Haven't had the chance to play with it much lately, but looks good so far!

That was intentional, but I didn't realize people were using it the other way.  That was to help so you can change textures, because it allows people to swap in and out transparent textures to speed things up.  I'll have to think about putting that back, or having something else in there.

[>] Brian

Koridar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »
That was intentional, but I didn't realize people were using it the other way.  That was to help so you can change textures, because it allows people to swap in and out transparent textures to speed things up.  I'll have to think about putting that back, or having something else in there.

Ahh, I just noticed this. Very nice indeed! It probably would be best to allow for both; I usually use vertex select if I'm copying a mesh and want to delete portions of it, as it can be annoying to manually select all those polys....

Still, awesome work!
Be a voice, not an echo

Current Incarnation: Timeless One

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:47 AM »
FYI: For the next couple days (as of 07/28/2014) don't update any code from the archive, I'm mass moving around some things to prepare for the next update (it's been slow going stuff has been getting in the way) so any code you update won't compile.  Should be normal again in a couple days!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »
The archives should be fine again, and I'll be back to bug fixes and updates soon, but here's an entertaining screenshot.  Remember, I'm working on creating a game that is completely auto-generated, and here's the very first pass (most of this is temporary, just laying the groundwork) for auto-generated monsters.  The model and textures are all auto-generated.

His tangent spaces are a little goofy (therefore the weird gray color) and he's pretty simple, but at least he's constructed procedurally!

I need to work on auto-generating the bones, which will go a long way to more shapes for monsters, but it's a start.

[>] Brian

DomReardon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
I love the idea of auto generated monsters! This guy definitely has a certain charm, be interesting to see how far this can go.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 06:35:01 AM »
I love the idea of auto generated monsters! This guy definitely has a certain charm, be interesting to see how far this can go.

I don't think it'll equal your work, though :)

[>] Brian

Logan

• big kurty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »
Oh man, that's going to be fun to play around with. Is it a tool in the editor? Or is he generated on load?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
Oh man, that's going to be fun to play around with. Is it a tool in the editor? Or is he generated on load?

In the editor, there's auto generators for map textures, a map, model textures, and a model.  The map one can make good stuff, but the model one is really new and simple, and neither are up to par yet.  Eventually, I'll make a special game where you start it, push a button and it makes a bunch of maps, monsters, weapons, etc, and creates a game on the fly for you to play.  That's way off in the distance, though, I'm just putting together some starting points.

[>] Brian

DomReardon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »
So is it a modular kind of model build? I'm yet to experiment with it, but intrigued as to how it works, I'll have a play around to see what I can achieve with it. This is a very cool way forward for Dim3, I think. The concept of an engine that can make games itself is utterly awesome. The only way I can conceive this working is with a kind of modular build, so everything is in chunks, so maybe a bot has 10 physical chunks- torso, head arms, etc, and maybe 10 script chunks- attack player, follow player, do a little dance, etc...
Somehow, I suspect that this is not how you have it working, and that you're doing something even more interesting...

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 07:44:31 AM »
I tried modular a while ago, and it's cool, but I want something truly random.  Right now, for maps, it creates random polygons and connects them together into a map, and then populates it with random real world items (like additional walls, or pillars, or rubble) and additional random floors and doors.  There is still a sameness that can happen, but the real world is that way too, most warehouses look the same.

For the models, I'm building bones, and then skinning around the bones.  The map stuff is getting there, but the model stuff is just terrible right now, I'm still feeling out my way into doing this.  I think I finally have something interesting that only I'm doing, or at least to this degree.

[>] Brian

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »
I could see this being really cool as a prototyping tool. Say you had an idea for a combat mechanic--you could auto generate a world and characters and test out the mechanic easily without having to spend a while building bad throw away stuff that doesn't feel like a real game just to test.
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »
After a long time of puttering around, and experimenting, I think I'll be moving forward with making a new game, one that is all auto-generated, so that's where I'm going to be putting my time on dim3.  Got some cool stuff coming up, but I'm going to concentrate on the map creation at first.

[>] Brian