Author Topic: Engine Hogs Second Monitor  (Read 4698 times)

c^5

• View Profile
Engine Hogs Second Monitor
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »
I usually use two monitors with my Macbook. If I have dim3 running on one of them in full screen, it blacks out the second monitor making it useless until I quit the engine.
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Re: Engine Hogs Second Monitor
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »
I usually use two monitors with my Macbook. If I have dim3 running on one of them in full screen, it blacks out the second monitor making it useless until I quit the engine.

That would be SDL, I'll have to ask around on the forum.  I updated this reply with another idea that will get you over this hump.  Make sure the debug tab is on in your project (it's in the project settings in editor.)  Once that is on, you can run the engine in windowed mode, which eliminates this problem, and is probably better for development, anyway.

[>] Brian

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
Thanks I'll do that for now. If I have time later I'll mess around with SDL and see if I can get it to work right with my monitor setup, it's pretty trivial with GLFW so there might also just some setting in SDL that does it.
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
It's referred to as a "Borderless Window" instead of "Fullscreen". Basically it's the same as windowed mode but it is set to fill the screen and the titlebar/borders are disabled. This allows you to tab out. I am under the impression that Borderless Window is, like regular windowed mode (since it's essentially the same), slightly slower than fullscreen since it has to draw the desktop.

In SDL_CreateWindow, remove the SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN* flag(s) and add the SDL_WINDOW_BORDERLESS flag. Then set the window size to be the resolution of the desktop, I think.

Hmm... With AppNap do you think it would be possible to gain back that speed? Worth a try, I'd say!
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 05:04:40 AM »
It's referred to as a "Borderless Window" instead of "Fullscreen". Basically it's the same as windowed mode but it is set to fill the screen and the titlebar/borders are disabled. This allows you to tab out. I am under the impression that Borderless Window is, like regular windowed mode (since it's essentially the same), slightly slower than fullscreen since it has to draw the desktop.

In SDL_CreateWindow, remove the SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN* flag(s) and add the SDL_WINDOW_BORDERLESS flag. Then set the window size to be the resolution of the desktop, I think.

Hmm... With AppNap do you think it would be possible to gain back that speed? Worth a try, I'd say!

You're always going to have a cost if the game can't take over everything, but usually the only reason for modes like this is for developers, so it's to be expected.

[>] Brian

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »
but usually the only reason for modes like this is for developers

I'd argue otherwise. I know people, including myself, who ALWAYS choose the borderless window. Most gamers that I know of prefer to be able to tab out so that they don't have to quit to, for instance, look something up.
~Ryan

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »
but usually the only reason for modes like this is for developers

I'd argue otherwise. I know people, including myself, who ALWAYS choose the borderless window. Most gamers that I know of prefer to be able to tab out so that they don't have to quit to, for instance, look something up.

No, that's a good point.  I'll be looking into this.  It should probably all be an option, I assume.

[>] Brian

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »
Oh and I hear switching screen resolution is deprecated behavior, anyways. Supposedly what you do now is change the resolution of the FBO texture. That in mind, you should be able to use the same system for all window modes I think...

Can you disable the 5 security questions to post something?
~Ryan

Oddity007 wrote:

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »
Oh and I hear switching screen resolution is deprecated behavior, anyways. Supposedly what you do now is change the resolution of the FBO texture. That in mind, you should be able to use the same system for all window modes I think...

Can you disable the 5 security questions to post something?

Forgot that was on, I turned it off.

[>] Brian