Author Topic: dim3 v23 Release  (Read 10132 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Re: dim3 v23 Release
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2014, 05:18:18 AM »
EDIT: I'm not sure if the router is the problem; after examining it yesterday I noticed the IP I gave out was incorrect. After changing this, Dim3 now consistently gives the "Host refusing Join command" error. Still, it's a step in the right direction, I suppose....

Is that the real error message, that's not in my code!  I'm going to try to setup my own test in a while and see what happens, more info soon.

[>] Brian

`teh1

• OOK Dev
  • Global Moderator
  • Behold(Eventually): OOK
    • AOL Instant Messenger - flagoworld
    • View Profile
    • Spiral Nebula Development
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
See? This is what happens when you copypasta internet "code"!
~Ryan

http://spiralnebuladev.com/ || Visit Spiral Nebula Development

Oddity007 wrote:
`teh1: 1) I must go get my chicken wings, like all men with african ancestry 2) I shall blog about dat.

DomReardon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
Mmmmm, copypasta...

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
FYI: Working on a lot of fixes to transparency sorting.  A lot of this got broken when I made the iOS version, and I never really noticed it because I didn't use transparencies that much (they are pretty slow, which is why you don't see them used a lot in games, as they take a lot of polygon sorting.)

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
Also, I'm working on some updates to the model editing part of Editor so you can change textures on the fly.  The reason is transparent polygons.  Most modern games (you can google and see this) try to get you to either stay away from a lot of transparencies (just use a lot of polygons instead) or if you have transparencies, make sure to split them into distinct textures so the engine can optimize them (dim3 does this.)  To that end, I'll put together the features to allow you to split up your models into opaque textures and transparent textures.

Here's an interesting write-up: http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/alpha_sorting.html

What this doesn't tell you is modern shader hardware does NOT like having discarded pixels (i.e., cut-outs.)  It's why it doesn't exist in dim3, because it's been removed from OpenGL ES.  The modern hardware like to do things in parallel and think that every shader pixel will hit the screen, in one way or another.  So any kind of alpha cut-out actually slows EVERYTHING way down.  Any kind of transparent does that too, as it can no longer use the Z-buffer.

That said, people want transparency, so I'm going all out for it ... That's why modern GPUs have so much throughput.  Don't make bars with alpha, just render every bar with a hundred polygons! :)

[>] Brian