Author Topic: dim3 v23 Release  (Read 10133 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Re: dim3 v23 Release
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »
FYI Progress:

I've got the first part of rag dolls in.  They aren't perfect because they need a lot more information that the current models don't have.  This isn't a big deal, but I just need to add all the interfaces for that.  So they have some artificial limits at this point, to eventually have real limits in the future.  It's current just the frame work.

I've fixed some more crashing bugs due to scripting trying to gather information about deleted objects.

I'm adding a custom host option to joining so quick joins to hosts not on a host list can be done.

I've got a ton of enhancements to the auto-generator.  It'll probably take a long time, but I think my next project is a completely auto-generated game, even down to the models and weapons and textures.  An interesting project.  Hopefully it will be cool enough so somebody might finally mention me on a blog :)

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »
I'm looking to find some time to work on a little project with dim3. I might have a (hopefully) rigged "next-gen" (-> sounds oldschool!) character for you soon, if you need one for testing. I can't rig it in dim3, though.
Btw., I recently got a used kinect-camera and I'm hoping to find a way to implement it into a dim3 project just for a few experiments. Oddity, are you still out there?
Field of activity: graphic design, 3d modeling, concept art, music;

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »
I'm looking to find some time to work on a little project with dim3. I might have a (hopefully) rigged "next-gen" (-> sounds oldschool!) character for you soon, if you need one for testing. I can't rig it in dim3, though.
Btw., I recently got a used kinect-camera and I'm hoping to find a way to implement it into a dim3 project just for a few experiments. Oddity, are you still out there?

Interesting, I look forward to seeing what you've got!

[>] Brian

DomReardon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
I've not checked thoroughly yet, but it seems that 'obj.setting.inputMode=DIM3_INPUT_MODE_SIDE_SCROLL;' might not be working, there may be something I'm missing...

Koridar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 08:52:56 AM »

As far as I can tell, it works; it uses the left and right keys. Top Down uses left and right, as well as the keys mapped to up and down (which is why it wasn't working for me). Hope that helps!

I'm adding a custom host option to joining so quick joins to hosts not on a host list can be done.

Once we've got this I'll see if I can do some network tests; maybe we can squash some bugs for you. Also, if you want some material to implement permanently into Dim3, I've got some things you might be able to use if you want them, such as a new weapon concept that spawns platforms to reach higher areas; the primary fire currently spawns a platform of a random color which lasts for a short time, while the alt fire spawns a semi permanent platform that 'degrades' with use, eventually despawning. Originally it was supposed to do so gradually for as long as the payer was standing on it, and stop when they weren't, but I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. Still, I can provide it for you if you want it.

The flipped perspective is throwing off my third person tests though, also I'm still having major issues with the transparent texture thing; it seems to somewhat limit the characters that can be implemented, as having ANY transparency renders it ALL transparent.
Be a voice, not an echo

Current Incarnation: Timeless One

DomReardon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 09:43:40 AM »

As far as I can tell, it works; it uses the left and right keys. Top Down uses left and right, as well as the keys mapped to up and down (which is why it wasn't working for me). Hope that helps!

Hmmm, I think I must be missing something, if it's working for you. This is a little project I brought from v22 to v23, so I probably need to update something, I think the way it worked in v22 was that whatever key was mapped to 'Turn Left' or 'Turn Right' becomes left and right for side scroll mode. Maybe that's changed. Right now my player is turning instead of running, which I didn't think you could even do in side scroll mode...

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »

Hmmm, I think I must be missing something, if it's working for you. This is a little project I brought from v22 to v23, so I probably need to update something, I think the way it worked in v22 was that whatever key was mapped to 'Turn Left' or 'Turn Right' becomes left and right for side scroll mode. Maybe that's changed. Right now my player is turning instead of running, which I didn't think you could even do in side scroll mode...

This is my fault.  You can now set input mode per map.  You can set it in script, but you have to do it after the map loads because the map can reset it.  A lot of people wanted to test out or change input per map (which is usually how it would be done.)  So, you can just get rid of it in the script and go into the map and in the project settings > camera there's a input mode.  Select side scroll and it should be working right again.

There's also been some static chase camera changes (which people use for side scroll), and another one coming where the camera wasn't exactly right, that will be in the next version.

I'm trying to make sure people can make quick and big input/camera changes in Editor instead of having to script those things and have complex branching scripts because a new map requires something different.

[>] Brian

DomReardon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 12:44:26 PM »
Aha, there it is! Thanks.

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 06:16:38 AM »
Progress Update: Got lots of fixes and some additions in.  For what I'm doing for a project of my own, I have a lot of additions and updates to the auto generator, and I'm putting that down for the moment and working on the next part, which is auto generating textures.  Yes, the goal is *everything* is auto generated!

It's interesting work.

I'll mess around a bit more and then release another copy.

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 06:47:33 PM »
Unlisted video, I don't have a problem passing it out but it's just a demonstration I'll probably delete later, so watch it while it's hot! :)

A quick demonstration of the current auto-generating features of dim3.  Obviously, still preliminary, but everything except the hand models is auto-generated.  Including the textures!  They are a bit too high in specular, though.  The geometry, the lights, your object placement, etc, all auto-generated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlI3FLMda1o

This is as far as I'm probably going to take it for this version.  I'm going to back up and work on a couple more user request/fixes and then release another version.

[>] Brian

Koridar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
the goal is *everything* is auto generated!

Personally, I find this fascinating, and a really interesting idea to play with. Well done!

I have completed my hosting tests; although I have tested every available configuration that the router gives me, I am still unable to host a game. The port checker tool claims that the ports are forwarded correctly, but he still claims it says the host is unreachable. This has always been the result, minus one time where it seemed to load the map title screen, then claim that the join command was refused. I have no idea how I got it to do that, and I have been unable to do it since.

It may well be that there is something set up wrong on my end still, but I haven't a clue what that might be....
Be a voice, not an echo

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »
the goal is *everything* is auto generated!

Personally, I find this fascinating, and a really interesting idea to play with. Well done!

I have completed my hosting tests; although I have tested every available configuration that the router gives me, I am still unable to host a game. The port checker tool claims that the ports are forwarded correctly, but he still claims it says the host is unreachable. This has always been the result, minus one time where it seemed to load the map title screen, then claim that the join command was refused. I have no idea how I got it to do that, and I have been unable to do it since.

It may well be that there is something set up wrong on my end still, but I haven't a clue what that might be....

You can host locally fine, correct?  What we can try to do to test is one day I could setup a server (we'd have to verify times) and see if it works for you hitting it from the outside, that would tell us where the problem lies.

[>] Brian

Koridar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
I currently don't really have a way to test local; I can TRY to set that up, but it's iffy.

I think we'd at least be on the right track if I could reproduce the "host is not accepting join command" error, but I haven't been able to do this.

Perhaps this might help: when configuring the router, do I set the protocol to TCP, UDP, or TCP/UDP? Also, do I set it up as ppp0 or ppp1?

Currently, I tried setting up one service as TCP and one service as UDP, so I have 2 services named Dim3, selecting ppp0 or ppp1 didn't make any difference, as neither one worked.
Be a voice, not an echo

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 07:33:39 PM »
I currently don't really have a way to test local; I can TRY to set that up, but it's iffy.

I think we'd at least be on the right track if I could reproduce the "host is not accepting join command" error, but I haven't been able to do this.

Perhaps this might help: when configuring the router, do I set the protocol to TCP, UDP, or TCP/UDP? Also, do I set it up as ppp0 or ppp1?

Currently, I tried setting up one service as TCP and one service as UDP, so I have 2 services named Dim3, selecting ppp0 or ppp1 didn't make any difference, as neither one worked.

UDP, port 11800.  Not sure why you see the ppp0/ppp1 thing.  Can I get a screenshot of your routers port forwarding page (that's the one you should be on.)

[>] Brian

Koridar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »
Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2iiljpfwteqm7m7/router.jpg

EDIT: I'm not sure if the router is the problem; after examining it yesterday I noticed the IP I gave out was incorrect. After changing this, Dim3 now consistently gives the "Host refusing Join command" error. Still, it's a step in the right direction, I suppose....
Be a voice, not an echo