Author Topic: dim3 v23 Release  (Read 10787 times)

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
dim3 v23 Release
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »
Here's the brand new version of dim3.  A lot of stuff packed into this, mostly bug fixes and user requests.  I have a lot planned, and some bigger features people have been requesting coming down the line.  For now, this is the new stable version.  There's also an updated Data folder.  It's not something anybody needs unless they want a starter project.  Anybody already working on a project just needs the updated applications.

OS X: http://www.klinksoftware.com/download/dim3_0023.zip
Windows: http://www.klinksoftware.com/download/dim3_0023_win32.zip
Data: http://www.klinksoftware.com/download/Data.zip

Code: [Select]
Engine
* removed older scripting API
* fixed a bug where choosers wouldn't use number keys properly
* can now turn meshes on/off on chooser
* input mode is settable on a map level (can be done outside scripts)
* fixed bug where static camera angles were off by 180
* fixed bug where top down controls were flipped
* ducking should now be part of weapon/model/barrel firing
* removing an object that is a vehicle auto-ejects any object inside it
* network broken connection/typing icons were drawing wrong
* fixed a bug where exiting auto without anything in there would cause a crash
* exiting a vehicle auto-stops the vehicle
* script based vehicle exiting always exits (no error throwing)
* exiting while hidden auto-exits at midpoint of vehicle
* fixed a bug where touching and object that was despawning could cause a crash
* hidden objects no longer play ambient sounds
* speed up saving games and slightly speed up loading maps

GUI
* updated GUI for saving/loading games
* updated GUI for single player map picking
* saved game screenshots are at a better resolution/size
* updated hosting/joining
* internet hosts aren't scaned until selected in the list

Scripting
* fixed numerous bugs where script created/disposed object could break on events/chains/timers
* added iface.chooser
    iface.chooser.start(name);
    iface.chooser.showMesh(id,meshName);
    iface.chooser.hideMesh(id,meshName);
* iface.interface.chooserStart() still works, but iface.chooser.start() is prefered
* chooser clicks can now be marked as "no close", which they just run scripts but don't close chooser
* added event DIM3_EVENT_DISPOSE, sent to all scripts when an object is disposing and cleaning up
* errors that pop open the console no longer capture input (only opening the console by the console key does)

Multiplayer
* fixed a bug where team kills would count as a kill
* engine would show remote names for objects that weren't remote players
* vehicles now exchange scores/teams with an object entering/exiting it
* scores/chats properly show players inside vehicles

Editor
* fixed a crashing bug when moving around maps with no meshes
* added left/right/up/down to possible chooser keys
* new auto generator (again!)
* auto generator view shows mesh/poly count
* audo generator turns off any shadow uv layers
* auto generator requires certain textures (will throw an error otherwise)
* map->camera settings allow you to setup input mode
* polygon hole punching preserves tangent spaces
* fixed a bug where goto map center would sometimes fail
* some menus weren't properly updating when switching from one view to the next

Have fun!  More updates coming!

[>] Brian

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
Re: dim3 v23 Release
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »
Next up, I'm going to start work on something long requested, which is rag dolls.  Will probably take a couple versions to get it down, and will require a lot more skeletal data, but I'll be beginning to put in the frameworks.

[>] Brian

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:00:50 PM »
I'm glad to see things are coming along, ragdolls will be a lot of fun to play with!
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.

Logan

• big kurty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 03:56:38 PM »
The vehicle always seems to orient itself perpendicular to the ground when the slope is high enough. Is this an issue being worked on?

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
No, but I will, what's probably happening is the vehicle is on a slope that's too high for it, so there will either have to be limiters for this or some other kind of device.

[>] Brian

Logan

• big kurty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
Okay. Cool

Koridar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 04:38:38 AM »
The spawn bug is still present, in which script based spawns spawn two objects simultaneously. Other than that everything looks good; really like the new look!
Be a voice, not an echo

Current Incarnation: Timeless One

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 05:02:05 AM »
The spawn bug is still present, in which script based spawns spawn two objects simultaneously. Other than that everything looks good; really like the new look!

Do you have an example in a project I can look at?  I've never seen that.

[>] Brian

Koridar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:05:32 AM »
It can be seen in the project I sent you using the spawn weapon; it spawns 2 vehicle meshes on top of one another (in such a way that it appears as one until they time out), and if you try to use it the player gets stuck and has to wait for the second one to time out before they can do anything.

Interestingly enough, this only seems to affect spawns using the weapon; the spawn spots are unaffected. This was present in the previous version as well, but as it was more obvious I thought you were already aware (as per you saying there were issues you knew about but hadn't fixed yet).

Also, in case you were not aware, the views for third person are still flipped, and I have discovered a further issue; not a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of, and that is that if you are in third person and switch your weapon, the model gets screwed up when you switch back to first person.
Be a voice, not an echo

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »
I've started work on rag dolls; as it's the beginning of the code, I was getting all the structures in place and so all my physics were just random.  It's kind of neat in a glitchy way -- when rag dolls start, the models basically fall apart because they randomly rotate the bones all over the place.

In other news, Alex (everybody remember him?) is probably going to eventually put together what he did for his Marathon homage and give the data to me, and I'll update it and see what I can make of it, and probably release it to the community (which would be the only option, it is Bungie IP) and we can all have something interesting to play with.  Don't know when that will happen, though.

I've got a much stronger map generator; I'm doing this because I think my next project will be a self-generating FPS game.  It'll be interesting and different.

Koridar/Kurton: Looking into your bugs, more soon!

[>] Brian

Imon

• Dim3 user since 1967
  • Global Moderator
  • Hey! Listen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »
I've started work on rag dolls; as it's the beginning of the code, I was getting all the structures in place and so all my physics were just random.  It's kind of neat in a glitchy way -- when rag dolls start, the models basically fall apart because they randomly rotate the bones all over the place.

In other news, Alex (everybody remember him?) is probably going to eventually put together what he did for his Marathon homage and give the data to me, and I'll update it and see what I can make of it, and probably release it to the community (which would be the only option, it is Bungie IP) and we can all have something interesting to play with.  Don't know when that will happen, though.

I've got a much stronger map generator; I'm doing this because I think my next project will be a self-generating FPS game.  It'll be interesting and different.

Koridar/Kurton: Looking into your bugs, more soon!

[>] Brian

I would never forget Alex! Ragdolls, that's so great to hear! I can't wait to play around with dim3 again!
Field of activity: graphic design, 3d modeling, concept art, music;

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 05:15:48 PM »
It can be seen in the project I sent you using the spawn weapon; it spawns 2 vehicle meshes on top of one another (in such a way that it appears as one until they time out), and if you try to use it the player gets stuck and has to wait for the second one to time out before they can do anything.

Koridar, I took a look at this, and it's actually a script problem.  In you spawn.js script, you have the event for a projectile "hitting" setup, and with a certain hit, you CHAIN to the destroy function, which destroys it and spawns the vehicle.  Chaining is something that happens outside of the current run of a script -- it means within a certain time period, call this next function in this script.

So, between that time period -- which is sort -- the projectile gets in another hit and that's what causes the problem.

The solution is to get rid of the chain and call the destroy directly, or just move in all the stuff in the destroy function into the hit function.  You have to watch it with chains, it means new events can get in and disrupt what you are doing.   Most of the time this is exactly what you want, but here it isn't!

[>] Brian

Koridar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 04:58:32 AM »
I had assumed it was a bug on your end, due to the fact that it had worked previously, then with the new version it was broken, and I hadn't changed anything. Now it works perfectly!

However, I may have found a bug in proj.hit.name; when I tried using it it causes the projectile to crash if it comes in contact with another projectile.
Be a voice, not an echo

ggadwa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Klink! Software
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 07:22:11 AM »
However, I may have found a bug in proj.hit.name; when I tried using it it causes the projectile to crash if it comes in contact with another projectile.

I suspect this is probably another problem related to checking some status of an item that got destroyed by a script, and so it's pointing at nothing.  I think I might have lost your email, drop me a email and I'll put up a test copy for you.

[>] Brian

c^5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 07:47:24 AM »
[...]In other news, Alex (everybody remember him?) is probably going to eventually put together what he did for his Marathon homage and give the data to me, and I'll update it and see what I can make of it, and probably release it to the community (which would be the only option, it is Bungie IP) and we can all have something interesting to play with.  Don't know when that will happen, though.
I would never forget Alex! Ragdolls, that's so great to hear! I can't wait to play around with dim3 again!
Who could forget Dr. Infested? I'm glad something will come of that project even if it's just releasing the data for us to play around with!
Quote from: Brian Barnes
What's mine is mine, and what's steve's belongs to me.